Thursday, October 6, 2011

Model Problem

Does there really have to be a Brazilian supermodel in Sabine's new Gymboree class? I think she weighs 105. She was wearing super tight skinny black jeans, knee-high black boots and a fitted tank with a cropped black blazer. I think simply standing next to her made me look fat. Geezus. While she was uncomfortably perfect looking, she was incredibly nice. Her two-year old, whose father is Jamaican, and Sabine fell in love with each other instantly. I'm thrilled about this just because I think it's nice for Sabine to have at least one friend who shares her skin color. The problem is that other than our children, supermodel mom and I have absolutely nothing in common.

I liked our swimming class better. It was filled with chunky moms wearing old lady bathing suits.

Okay, listen. I know I've written a million stories about real beauty and accepting yourself and different kinds of beautiful. And I still wholeheartedly believe in those things. However, I grew up reading fashion and beauty magazines, and as you know, even worked at one. So despite the fact that I now have my own definition of beautiful vs. something that the mass media shoves down my throat, I'm painfully aware of what the mass media considers perfectly beautiful. And she sat next to me for an entire hour yesterday as I tried desperately to remember my own idea of what is beautiful.

via Observando

4 comments:

Zoe said...

You are gorgeous. No need to feel bad about yourself.

Stephanie said...

She was probably hungry. And a lot of men think model skinny is unattractive. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that the worst? Even though we know better than to agree with mass media, we find ourselves doing it anyway. It's so pervasive that it's difficult to escape. Al least you are aware.

Miss A said...

You're the hot part mex, part white, part hottie model... Brazilian chicks are way overrated.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...