Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Chopped

My brave girl's first haircut (3 years of age). Not a single teardrop. The lollipop, toy cars and blow dryer helped a lot.

I look at these images and see such a quiet intensity. She's afraid and interested all at the same time. It makes me think about all of the things she will do for the first time. I brought this little being into the world and have watched her sprout from a series of cells into this--this person who is seeing and feeling almost everything for the very first time. She's a bunch of nerve endings with arms and legs. I want to shield her with superhero powers I don't have.  I want to cup her excitement and tame her fear. But I can't. All I can do is watch. I'll take that though.

There aren't enough hours in the day for me to lay side by side, cheek by cheek with her while she strokes my hair the way she does. Pretty soon the days where she can fit on my lap and pet my head with zero self consciousness will be gone. Just like her first curls.







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...