Tuesday, December 17, 2013

When I Grow Up

Sabine asked me the other day what I want to be when I grow up. Then she said, but you already are a grown up. But what do you want to be? Well, what are you?

Her limited perception of me completely freaked me out.

People have asked lately what SHE wants to be when she grows up. Her first answer: A waitress. I encouraged her to dream a little bigger. Her latest answer: A veterinarian or a chef.

Then I explained to her that I'm a writer and an editor, but I'm taking a short break from that for the most part to take care of her and Zadie.

Being their mom is the best job I've ever had. But I'm not sure I would feel that way if I hadn't done other things before doing that. I want Sabine to be other things--just for her things--before she chooses to be a mom, if she chooses that.

And I desperately want her to know that I am other things, too.




1 comment:

Sylvie Fox said...

For this reason, I probably emphasize to my son what I do. So when anyone asks he says I write books.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...